Where to store data under Windows

Jim Sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Sat Nov 7 07:39:35 EST 2009

On Nov 7, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Richard Miller wrote:

> I know this topic has been talked about before.... where to store
> Rev stacks that will be frequently (and automatically) updated when
> running under Windosw.  As a result, I've followed the general
> guidance of storing these stacks in the Documents folder. This seems
> to avoid any problems with the Windows "virtual folders" issue. I
> haven't actually tested this under Windows 7, but I assume it is
> still a valid and safe place.
>
> However, I'm running into a new issue. My program stores video files
> in this same location, as these videos are tightly integrated into
> the program. I wouldn't mind storing the videos

In the Dictionary, searching with specialfolderpath I find the
following:

For Windows systems, you can also specify a CSIDL number that
identifies a special folder. Some Commonly used CSIDL values are:
         0x001a: The user application data folder (e.g. "C:/Documents
and settings/Fred/Application Data")
         0x0023: The "all users" application data folder (e.g. "C:/
Documents and settings/all users/Application Data")
         0x000d: The "My Music" folder
         0x000e: The "My Videos" folder
         0x0027: The "My Pictures" folder

Is there any reason why  0x000e: The "My Videos" folder  is a not
considered? Seems like an appropriate choice.

sims