Linux Cursors

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 15 18:25:36 EDT 2009

Derek Bump wrote:
> Is there any way to force my standalone to not use the ugly hand cursor
> and instead use the cursors provided by Gnome or KDE?
>
> If not, are there any other requirements for the cursor image that you
> can set?  I have a 32x32 color cursor that I have set as the
> defaultCursor of my stack and it causes the Linux standalone to crash
> immediately.

Cursors can only contain 3 colors: black, white, and a custom color. The
order of the colors in the color lookup table is also important, but if
you get it wrong it won't crash, it will just display incorrectly. I
used to know the right order but I've forgotten now.

One way to create a cursor that used to work was to import your 3-color
image into the stack, select any paint tool, and click inside the image.
Immediately undo. That used to set the color table correctly, but I
haven't tried it in a long time.

You need to save your original image in a program that allows a 3-color
CLUT. Four colors won't work.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com