Newbie... Strict Compilation mode

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Sat May 9 14:50:51 EDT 2009

Mark Wieder wrote:

> OK - I think I see what you're doing. If I just put that into a script
> then I can compile it with or without strict compilation mode. But
> then there's nothing to execute. I'm not really clear on what is
> getting compiled at that point. I think as far as the compiler is
> concerned there's no code to run, so there's nothing to compile.

You are correct Mark. The errant code has to be in a handler inside of a
script to get the error. Outside a handler in a script, it's not executable,
and is therefore not compiled because the whole block, with the exception of
the local declaration, which would become a script local, is meaningless. I
tested this way and got the same result of no compile error. ;-)

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini