Launching an app with a doc in XP

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Fri May 8 07:13:37 EDT 2009

Hi Jack,

Shell is just like using the command line. So anything that works, if you go
to Start and then run CMD and type something into the command line box will
also work in shell. Command line parameters can usually be Googled. Here is
the first listing I found for *windows media player command line*:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa386383(VS.85).aspx

it appears, in the case of windowsMediaPayer, you just follow the name of
the exe with the name of the file to play in quotes. So, for example, if you
typed the following into CMD (and it worked -  I didn't try it ;-):

windowsMediaPlayer.exe "myAviFileList.wpl"

Then the equivalent shell command would be:

Get shell("start windowsMediaPlayer.exe" && quote & "myAviFileList.wpl" &
quote)

If you need to issue multiple lines of commands use && inside the quotes so:

Get shell("cd \myDirectory && start myProg.exe")

Would change directory to myDirectory and then execute myProg.exe

So, be mindful of using && to concatenate strings or inside quotes to
indicate another command line. ;-)

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini