OT: shell access in on-rev - please do not complain anymore

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon May 4 13:56:00 EDT 2009

I for one have a need where I *NEED* to have shell access. I do most of my
web developments thru the shell. I edit files, set things, all thru ssh with
screen and nano (when I am felling bold, I use emacs).
I also use interarchy and textmate when working at my mac, but I always have
a ssh session open and I use screen as a text only window manager and create
screen windows showing error logs, access logs, cpu info, all kinds of
information I need.

I have to see log files as web pages, I'd rather have them on terminal,
being output as they are written. I also create simple cgis and tools
directly on the remote server.

I feel very comfortable with text only tools and shell access and although
for most needs we can live without it, shell access is a key part of my
workcycle and the way I produce things.

The same engine that gives you CGIs also gives you command line tools, so
you can create terminal tools for your own use and those are faster and
easier to build then cgis or webapps (and more secure).