OT: shell access in on-rev - please do not complain anymore

Gordon Tillman got at mindspring.com
Mon May 4 10:05:37 EDT 2009

Howdy Matthias,

runrev260805 at m-r-d.de wrote:
> Okay, if there would be the possibility to use some command line tools like magick this would be fine.
> But i, for one, want a system, which is not vulnerable because everyone gets (full) shell access.
When I see the words "full shell access" I get the impression you are
referring to root access.  But I don't think anyone is expecting that on
a shared hosting system.  A normal (non-root) account using a normal
shell is not anywhere near as powerful (or dangerous) as a root account
is.  The entire Unix/Linux operating system is designed to separate
those two classes of users.

--gordon