[even more OT] Talking Heads

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 24 07:33:58 EDT 2009

Peter Alcibiades wrote:

"they were probably right."

I didn't say they were wrong; I said I thought they were silly.

I am not a purist; in fact there are quite a few people I know
who believe I am about the most "impure" person there is :)

The folks at Ubuntu would like us to believe they are pure
(their website goes on about it ad nauseam); yet, out of the
"sides of their mouths" they direct users to medibuntu and
so on which can dovetail 'non-free' stuff into Ubuntu.

How ever much I may not be entirely clear on what exactly
constitutes Open Source software (and, having, previously,
been badly affected by 'gurus' am wary of extreme,
fundamentalist types like R Stallman), I do understand what the
word "FREE" means.

If I can have legally FREE software on my computer I really don't
care whether it was made with 100% Organically Grown Fair-Trade
Tomatoes or not!

I also understand a maxim my grandmother from Norfolk (England)
taught me : "Never look a gift-horse in the mouth".

[And, I suspect, I may be more 'normal' in my outlook than  a lot
of the open source fanatics]

I, living in a country where copyright laws are useless and an
ongoing joke, tend to avoid the whole, messy thing, and focus on
making my money in a different way (and, as outlined in an
earlier posting, protecting software I put together in a
physically effective manner).

So  . . . sorry this is getting a bit tedious . . . when I offered
my 2 standalones to Ubuntu . . . . . Oh, curses, fill in the dots
yourself :)

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.