Linux can't disable menuItems?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 22 12:45:52 EDT 2009

Bill Vlahos wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are any consequences in using the "button"
> syntax instead of "menu"? Menu works fine on Mac and Windows so I
> don't want to break any of my existing code.

I tend to prefer using "button" over "menu", because it's more specific:

The option to use "menu" was added mostly for HC compatibility, and will
affect whatever is the current menu bar.  In HC of course there's only
one menu bar and it's not associated with any physical object in your
stack, so it works well enough to refer to 'menu "File"' and you always
know you'll be dealing with just one thing.

But in Rev, menus are groups of menu buttons on a card, and the current
menu can be one of two things:  when a stack has its own menubar group
defined it refers to a button in that group, but when a stack has no
menubar of its own it refers to a button in whatever group is currently
defined as "the default menubar".

In some cases the flexibility of using "menu" this way can be useful.
You can write a single handler to modify menu contents regardless of
whether its part of the stack that currently has focus or the default
menubar.

But in other cases it can be troublesome, possibly altering IDE menus
when you wanted to modify one of your own.

For this reason I tend to use "button" to refer to menus, requiring me
to specify the button by its owner and therefore ensuring that I know
exactly which object is being affected.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World