Back to my BBC Master . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 15:49:43 EDT 2009

In BBC BASIC the command to play a note is really very straight forward:

"SOUND C,A,P,D

where

C is the channel number.
A is the amplitude (volume) of the note.
P is the pitch (frequency) of the note.
D is the duration (length) of the note."

Now, for the sake of argument, if beepLoudness, beepDuration and beepPitch
to be adapted / adopted the equivalent statement would involve
4 lines of code.

The HyperCard method seems, on the face of things, to be a bit better than
the BBC method insofar as Channel and Amplitude don't have to be set for
each note. There is also space for more than one "seed" sound.

After fiddling around a bit on my G4 Mac I managed to sort the system beep
out so that BEEP went BEEP (Oh, Dear Me!).

So volume control is possible (on Mac).

However, one is tied to the system beep . . . . .

Hacking around with my dear, old friend ResEdit in the FOLK TUNES stack
I mentioned in an earlier posting, I found 3 "seed" sounds (stored in
the resource fork), allowing the programmer to leverage these 3 sounds.

These are the sounds, after conversion to AIFF files I have embedded in
"HCDOORBELL.rev" at revOnline; even if only to demonstrate that they
cannot really be manipulated in any meaningful way with RR.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.