[ANN] I have a confession...

Todd Higgins higginsta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:45:49 EDT 2009

Does you friend have a newer Mac (Powerbook G4 SD and newer)?  If so,
I would tell him to just put it to sleep.  By default the contents of
RAM is written to a disk image. Details on Safe Sleep can be found here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1757

You can even enable it on slighter older machines.  Here is a write up:

http://www.mariospina.com/braindump/archives/2005/11/13/how_to_safe_sleep_hibernate_your_mac.php

If he still insists, maybe you can force the hibernate function to
occur  at Shutdown as well.

Regards,

Todd