ANN: Kaleidoscopes for all seasons

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 14 00:45:56 EDT 2009

On the theory that one cannot have too many cookies (the real kind)
or kaleidoscopes (the artificial kind) in one's  life, I  here offer
my final (I hope) entry in the latter category.

It features two different methods, each with its own advantages. One
can draw or paint the figures (the latter thanks to critical input
from Bernd Niggemann.)

If the pattern  is drawn (using Run Rev graphic lines) the resolution
is quite good but the coloration is limited. If the pattern is
painted (using the curve pen  tool) the resolution is not as clean,
but there is more flexibility in the choice of color along  the line,
something that cannot be done with a graphic line.

I found a somewhat unsatisfactory solution to my earlier post
requesting a formula to translate color frequency into RGB color
coefficients. I found  an image of the color spectrum on the  web. It
was a rectangle ranging from red on the left to violet on the right.
By extracting the first line of imagedata  I obtained the RGB numbers
for the spectrum.  This list of 400 lines of RGB data was inserted
into a custom card property. As one draws out a line in the
Kaleidoscope the colors are drawn sequentially from this list so that
the line ranges (relatively smoothly) from red through the spectrum
to violet. It is not as smooth as I would like, but it was quick and
painless.

To see all these wonders, run this in the message box:

go stack url  "http://www.jamesphurley.com/CollidingScopes.rev"

Jim  Hurley