My BBC Master - - - getting Beeped-off.

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 13:22:23 EDT 2009

To quote myself [err . . . this reminds me of something else]:

"It is, frankly, an easy, albeit tedious, piece of work to churn out
individual sound files from some program that produces notes (c.f.
Sibelius) for each semitone on the musical scale; and then import
them into a stack, and then code to play audioClips."

while it is possible to set the playRate of a player this cannot be
done for an audioClip as such;

now, one could set up a player and keep loading individual audioClips
of notes into it by continually resetting the fileName property . . .

BUT . . . t  h  i  n  g  s    w  o  u  l  d   g  e  t   b  o  g  g  e  d
d  o  w  n  rather like playing a 45 gramophone record at 33

[and, methinks this would be mucho memory hungry - especially on low-end
PCs; and, come to think of it, because it depends on parts of end-users'
operating systems that are optional (QT, xanim (???)), it would be all
a bit silly]

(and I am quite sure that the current participants in this discussion
can remember 'platters', 'waxes' and so forth :)

The thing about my BBC Micro and a Hypercard stack was that things
happened on time; which, for music, is not a bad idea.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.