problem with brackets in script editor

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 10 16:08:34 EDT 2009

Bob Sneidar wrote:

> Whaa?? There's a Rev 3.5?? Is it compatible with GLX2?

v3.5 is in beta testing at the moment.

Kevin introduced it in a recent newsletter:
<http://runrev.com/newsletter/february/issue65/newsletter1.php>

Trevor goes into detail here on its cornerstone feature, Behaviors:
<http://runrev.com/newsletter/february/issue65/newsletter2.php>

This new Behaviors feature is probably the most powerful addition to the
language in many years.

In v3.5 you can use the script of any button to define behavior for any
other object, enhancing the message path like this:

   <control>
       <behavior>
   <card>
   <stack>

Messages sent to an object go first to that object, and then to whatever
script is assigned as that object's behavior.  After the behavior script
they resume the normal message path.

Any number of objects can use the same behavior button, so you can in
effect create a class of objects.  And since messages are sent to a
given object first before they go to the behavior script, you can
override any generic class behaviors on an instance-by-instance basis if
needed.

Really cool stuff.  Guaranteed to change the way you script! :)

André wrote:
> Richard, I love your claim: " The more custom controls look, feel, and
> *script* like native
>     controls, the more they will be adopted."

Thanks, André.  This new feature is quite powerful.  As it moves toward
completion, it opens up whole new worlds of possibilities.  If you'll
pardon the expression, at least for the xTalk world it's quite
revolutionary. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World