doMneu, alas

dunbarx dunbarx at aol.com
Tue Mar 3 23:59:28 EST 2009

Thanks, all, for the feedback. So that is the accepted way then:

"doMenu", a command, is replaced by sending "menuPick", a message, to a button, an object, renamed in this special case a "menu"?

Well, OK, it works alright, but why not a simple command, oh, like, um, "doMenu"? Instead we have a procedure.

It seems untoward that a button, a native object, should be renamed at all, characterized merely by its style. It is a tear in an otherwise smooth fabric. Was it just so the procedure reads better? And if so, why isn't that procedure at least formally presented in the docs, as a methodology for what I can only think of as that missing command? Am I the only one that uses this all the time?

If the formal syntax for the invoking of menu commands was written down:

send "menuPick" && "menuItem" to menu "menuName"

then it would imply that Rev contains a native menu object, like HC. You can only send messages to objects, right?

I have a scrolling field "myField", can I say: put "foo" into scrolling "myField"?

I am not whining. I am going on and on.

Craig Newman