To On-Rev or Not to On-Rev

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 19:29:38 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Andre Garzia<andre at andregarzia.com> wrote:

>> I run an intranet data server based on Andre's RevOnRockets.
>

> Yay! Victory!!! And does it works well?
>
> :D

Brilliantly :-)

I have 2 computers that gather data from various pieces of hardware.
They send the data to the RevOnRockets server as part of a URL e.g.
http://serverIP:8082/cgi-bin/webData?query=storeTemperatureData&data=...........

Then there are multiple computers that require various bits of this
data, so they "get" another URL e.g.
http://serverIP:8082/cgi-bin/webData?query=getTemperatureData

Then if they need to switch valves, pumps, chillers, heaters etc.,
they send another message to the server which stores that information
so that the app that controls the hardware can find it and act on it.

There are lots of other cool commands implemented in the server, which
is just a Rev standalone: manually switch hardware on or off, get a
big screen display of a single sensor (great for using an iPhone as a
hand-held monitoring device), get a listing of the server log....

I also have the server detect whether the data is being requested by a
browser or by another application. If a browser, the data is formatted
into tables and styled based on whether it is being displayed on an
iPhone or a large screen. If another app requests the data, it just
gets plain tab-delimited text.

It is heaps faster that Apache and of course since the commands are
all programmed in Revolution, vastly easy to work with than struggling
to do it in Perl.

I stripped a lot of stuff out of your original stack Andre, since I
knew I didn't need all the extra features. then I added in my own
commands. Never gives any problems. It doesn't get a lot of traffic so
I have no idea how well it would scale, but it is perfect for my uses.

Cheers,
Sarah