Remote database access: Update

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Thu Jun 11 10:46:51 EDT 2009

> On Jun 8, 2009, at 11:19 AM, viktoras d. wrote:
>>
>> a while ago I have produced exactly such application to one of my
>> clients. Client downloads it, the app communicated with mysql
>> database on a remote server. I used a relay script written in Perl
>> (so it should work everywhere, because Perl is omnipresent
>> nowadays). It will pass nearly all sql except for alter, truncate,
>> drop, modify, create. User must post two parameters - pasword and
>> sql query to communicate with the database. Unfortunately both are
>> submitted as clear text

> and

> On Jun 8, 2009, at 9:38 AM, Trevor DeVore wrote:
>

>> If you have a Rev CGI and standalone that support arrayDecode/
>> arrayEncode then your life is easier. You can just make calls to
>> the Rev CGI that asks for a type of result, the Rev CGI makes the
>> query, converts the cursor to an array, encodes the array and then
>> returns it. In the standalone you can just decode the array and you
>> are good to go.

and

> On Jun 8, 2009, at 2:06 PM, I wrote:

> Both of these suggestions will come in handy, but guess what? I got
> Trevor's Recipes demo to directly access the DB on the remote
> server! ...

Well, that victory was short-lived. The next day I couldn't get it to
work again, and the security hole was preying on my conscience, so I
decided to try one of the above suggestions. It took hours of research
and failure to get a working cgi-bin on the server (Oh how I hate
server administration! the only thing worse is working with an admin
who won't let you do anything!). Finally both the Perl script and a
Rev 3.5 cgi were saying hello, but the Perl script was already
accessing the database so, considering the short timeline, I went with
Viktoras' Perl solution, rather than be tempted into complexity. I'm
hopeful that it will meet my needs in this project as the final
deadline draws near.

I'll be employing Trevor's advice next time when I really spread my
wings (maybe) in this internet thingy.

Thank you again,

Tereza Snyder
Califex Software, Inc.