OS X Help files

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jun 10 11:28:08 EDT 2009

jim sims wrote:
> Is there some way to use standard OS X Help files with Rev? I'm
> talking about Leopard only.
>
> Or, do people  either make a small stack or access a set of web pages?
>
> What are you folks using?

For WebMerge I use HTML pages, a good fit for a web production tool.

But for most products we make here we use a stack, giving us
cross-platform consistency, automation in production, contextual
integration with the product, and better performance than Apple's Help
system.

At one time I considered using the conventional help systems provided by
each OS, but Microsoft's is unpleasant to use and Apple changes
direction on help systems as often as most people change shirts.  But
moreover, each uses different formats which would raise costs for the
niche products we produce, money our customers would rather have us
spend on features.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World