Setting up Enterprise

George C Brackett gbrackett at luceatlux.com
Mon Jun 8 21:24:53 EDT 2009

Thanks!  One source has been my inclination also, Jacqueline; anytime
I have to keep things in sync I have found I'm asking for trouble.
Obviously when using only Studio I only had one source.  I guess that
having the Windows IDE allows me to make tweaks for the Windows
version while it is running in Windows, which surely makes tweaking
easier.  It may also make me more fussy than necessary about
formatting!  Hmm... maybe I could use behaviors to do things like set
the font/size/margins of a field OS-specific if there were just
something like a drawField message...

George

On Jun 8, 2009, at 9:09 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

George C Brackett wrote:
> Thanks for the advice Andre.  I'm still not sure whether you
> maintain one source (Mac+PC) or two (Mac, PC).  I'm also a single
> programmer, not a group, which seems to be the best reason to use
> the version-control features of Magic Carpet.  Could you describe
> just a bit more how you use MC?

It's really hard to maintain separate source files, you're bound to
forget to change something on the other copy. I always work with a
single stack file, which I share across platforms. In general I do
most of the work on my Mac, and then I open the stack on Windows
(running on Parallels) and tweak things that need it. I keep going
back and forth like that, checking things.

Keeping two separate copies in synch seems like double the work to me.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com
subscription preferences: