How to draw a line between objects or letters?

DunbarX at aol.com DunbarX at aol.com
Fri Jun 5 15:56:25 EDT 2009

William;

on mouseUp
    lock screen
    if there is a graphic "tLine" then delete graphic "tLine"
    ask "Find which chars?"
    put it into tChar

    find   chars tChar in fld yourField1
    put the foundLoc & return after tLocs

    find chars tChar in fld yourField2
    put the foundLoc after tLocs

    create grc
    set the name of the last graphic to "tLine"
    set style of graphic tLine to "line"
    set points of graphic tLine to line 1 of tLocs & return & line 2 of
tLocs

     select after text of fld yourField2 --deselect the found box, should
be a better way
     click at "0,0"
end mouseUp

You will notice that the line is drawn from the topleft of the character.
Depending on how you want it to look, and the textSize and other properties,
you might move it to the center of the char. I think, though, you should
create two small rectangle graphics and frame the chars with the line
connecting them.

Never used an image, but they are objects and should have a loc. You have
to access them by name, number or id, though, and that is something set at
the time they are created (text is more accessable, just by its nature).
Should not be very different, though, from the simple method above,

Craig Newman