[OT] Customs

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 13:53:49 EDT 2009

Before I hop on the plane to the conference I am trying to find out
some information about British Customs and laptops.

There has been persistent rumours that customs officers can seize
laptops at random from entrants to Britain and hold them for
examination as long as they want.

Unfortunately my wife's laptop (which is what I intend to bring
to Edinburgh) contains nothing "interesting"; notwithstanding that
it would be "a right pain" if it were randomly seized by customs and excise.

Can anybody enlighten me on this; especially as I have been outwith
the surveillance society since January.