Future Trends For Media Delivery - Where will RunRev Be?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Jul 23 01:47:06 EDT 2009

A bit OT here, but I like to query the group on future trends from time
to time just to sound the waters, ""blue sky" "what do you think about
it" ...

Discussions here about "where do we go from here" usually revolve around
the new delivery channels for what was formerly ink on paper (books,
lessons, magazine, flyers, small edu pamphlets etc.) Scribed, Amazon
Books, etc.

The general sense is (and it is already happening) that users want to
download a digital "product" and read it off line.   Or download a PDF,
print it locally and read it physically, away from their computers. Our
Hindu calendar which is calculated for nearly every time zone on earth,
was downloaded nearly 800,000 times the last annual period.  It's free
and that is going to change, and when we start charging for it (2.95 or
so...) the downloads will drop of course, how much, we don't know, but
the trend is obvious.

Now we have also

 iPhone apps
 Kindle
 Sony Ebook Reader

So where this all appear to be headed is that not only will print media
"sales" drop, but also page views of the web via a browser on a PC, will
fall off, while downloads of digital "products" that  can be accessed
"locally"  will rise -- printed, or read or used on a small device that
does not carry the big foot print of a Person Computer Where Even A
LapTop Has A Big Foot Print and Price Tag....

So, while the new Revolution plug in is really super/hot and I can't
wait to create things for it... Where will RunRev/stackware/xTalk be as
a player in the field of digital products for small devices?

The really great break through would actually be more along the lines of
the One LapTop Per Child model: where newer OS's will be created that
can run entire "realms" of software on a small device. The iPhone would
seem to be almost there, but it's locked up. I also think it's just a
tad too small. The cell phone model is only one model, and lots of us
(me included) get claustrophobic reactions working on my iPhone....hence
the viability of Kindle like devices.

I envision some little gadget that has a complete Linux OS running on it
that fits in the palm of your hand and can access the internet. You
download little RunRev standalones and  use them in your "gadget" for
all I know this is already happening and will roll over us before we
know it. If the Chinese were to cook up such a tool then Microsoft-Apple
will be looking at the Dust of The Dragon  out in front...or perhaps
Google's new Haiku system will be such...
But the ultimate would be a full OS without contraints... our vision
being very biased by the not-so-unconscious wish to be able to run
RunRev apps on this futuristic device.

Of course the fundamental act of turning on a PC and going to the web
browser will not go away, but whether people will be actually spending
very much significant time [playing games, learning a subject,
practicing art form, doing accounting, reading a book, practicing their
music-singing] in that

 1-person-in-a-chair-looking-stuff-in-a-browser-on-a-PC-while-connected-to-the-internet

 context... is the question....

 yet, if the substance of their reference material is "digital" (since
we will no longer be using ink on paper and burning oil shipping books
around the world...) then how will they be interacting with it, if not
on a laptop? And will RunRev be there?

For those who have nothing better to do but try "scrying" the future,
please share your thoughts, anything that comes to mind.

skts

p.s. Anyone know what Kindle uses to run it's ebooks?