Missing Menu Lines?

klaus at major.on-rev.com klaus at major.on-rev.com
Fri Jul 3 04:22:00 EDT 2009

Hi Scott,

> Recently, Jan Schenkel wrote:
>
>> Welcome to the wonderful world of cross-platform menubars.
>
> OK, is there a way to get a menubar to work with command keys when
> using the
> menuHistory instead of menuPick?
>
> I can't use a menuPick handler based on the names of the menu
> options (using
> localized menus), so I'm using the menuHistory to determine which
> item is
> chosen (as explained in the docs).  This works as expected when
> selecting
> items from the menu with the mouse, but it doesn't appear to work with
> command keys, specifically the edit commands (cut/copy/paste).
> Checking the
> menuHistory in the script always shows "1".

If you are working with Rev >=3.5 you can use the new "item menu
tagging",
which is "label independant" and pretty useful :-)

 From the "engine cange log.txt":
Menu-item tagging
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The menu item specification has been extended to allow a tag to be
specified. It is now of the form:
   <label> [ '/' [ <accelerator> ] [ '|' <tag> ] ]
Note that the <tag> is optional as is the <accelerator> however, if
you want an item with a tag but without the accelerator you need:
   <label> '/' '|' <tag>

The <tag> must only be composed of characters from the ASCII character
set.

If a menu item has a <tag> then it is the tag string that is passed to
menuPick rather than the <label>. This is useful for localization of
menu items as you don't need to change the menuPick handler for each
language supported.

The following tags should be used to label the standard edit menu
items to enable them to be controlled by the system dialogs on Mac OS
X (e.g. answer file, ask file etc.):
   undo, redo, cut, copy, paste, clear, select all, preferences

Note: You should not mix the use of tags and no tags in Unicode menus.
Doing so will cause empty values for all unicode items without tags.

If you are still on Rev <= 3.0 I have no idea, sorry.

> Is it possible to make a localized menu that doesn't rely on
> menuItem names?
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director