Creepy 2020

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Thu Jul 2 13:14:03 EDT 2009

> I still think it ironic that we are intolerant of governments
> and corporations when they engage in behaviors we excuse in
> our selves.

I wouldn't lump these two together. But if your point is that corporations
are just providing a service that we want, I can see your point.

The problem I see is that at least in the United States, for the most part,
we don't own our own data. It is also legal, apparently, to attach penalties
(or should it be "benefits") to not disclosing data when its for services
that have nothing to do with the service.

For example - does Safeway really need to know that I, personally, bought
Ben & Jerry's Imagine World Peace, or that my preferences for this ice cream
occur on date X in location Y? If I do not disclose this information by
using a "rewards card", that Ill be charged significantly more?

For purely inventory purposes, they don't really need to know that. As a
reseller, they haven't any vested right in the "property" of the product to
even ask that - they haven't licensed that pint to me. Now its perhaps good
for them to know that this particular store sells through this particular
product at rate X - but they do not need to tag me with that information.
What combination of "future devices" can be used in the future with this
information? How will Safeway, in the future, utilize that information to
provide complementary services with its partners?

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software