Import PDFs ?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Jan 28 22:36:02 EST 2009

Recently, Thomas McGrath III wrote:

> It is that simple if all you want is to use another application to
> read the PDF file. This is from the docs and it forces the operating
> system's default program for reading PDFs to open the file:
>
> launch document "/myProjects/myRevolutionProject/help.pdf"
>
> But if you want to open the PDF from within RR then I would look at
> revBrowser.

Note that on OSX, if Safari doesn't have the ability to open PDFs,
RevBrowser will not work for this purpose.  Not sure if native PDF display
is standard on the current version of OSX, but in previous versions, a PDF
addon of some kind was required to make this happen -- if the addon was not
on the system, RevBrowser would not open the PDF.

In projects I worked worked on, we wound up having to roll our own viewer
using the QuickTime player technique.  It's not as good as a true PDF
viewer, but it works, and it's pretty much the only option if you need PDF
display in your stack and the system is as described above.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design