Import PDFs ?

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctortimothyMiller.com
Wed Jan 28 02:36:05 EST 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 3:53 PM, SparkOut wrote:

> You can import the PDF files to your stack by:
> put URL ("binfile:<the-path/name-of-your-file.pdf>") into
> <thePDFStorageProperty>

> On a Mac you should be able to display the pdf in a player, but on
> Windows
> even with QT enabled it won't render a pdf document. A workaround is
> write out the file to a temporary location:
> put <thePDFStorageProperty> into URL("binfile:<temporarypath/
> name.pdf>")
> and launch it, or use a revBrowser object to display within Rev.

I think I got the script right:

  put URL ("binfile:Users/Daddy/Desktop/HRV feedback.pdf") into xxxVar
  set the savePDF1 of this card to xxxVar
  answer the result

The result is empty, anyway. And there is a customKey of the card
called "savePDF1"  I can't be sure until I know the right script to
display the PDF.

I can't figure out how to write a script to display the imported PDF.

I tried to do it with a player and struck out. I tried to set the
source to "the savePDF1 of this card." That seemed not to work.

A little (more) help? I'm on a Mac. This doesn't need to work on other
platforms.

It would be better if I could display the imported PDF with Preview or
Adobe Reader. I'm on a laptop with a smallish screen and I need more
control over size, zoom, etc. than a player seems to offer.

Retrospective and prospective thanks.

Tim Miller