playing multi-sounds

Judy Perry katheryn.swynford at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 23:14:59 EST 2009

My guess is that the latency issue increases proportionately with the age of
the machine being deployed on and the number of simultaneous sound files
being played.  Would I guess correctly?  In addition to game dev, little
kiddie ware is big on multiple simultaneous sound files playing and those
are the people likely using low-end machines (I mean, who really lets their
3 year old with the spilling sippy cup use their MacBookPro/Windows
analog?).
Remember I work in edu and write stuff for little kids in schools with crap
for hardware.  Come to think of it, I just spent 4 hours at my uni's
satellite campus, where we also have crap for hardware. And IT people who
don't know what a software license is, or what a "Vista-capable" machine
would look like.  Our wired network is snot-slow and the wifi is iffy at
best.

I rent server space from Mark Schonewille for Moodle (because my
departmental sysadmin refuses to do Moodle server backups) and, with ~25
students in the lab all trying to access his server, not one of us could
actually get the entire page to correctly load.  It took Mark & I a couple
of hours to be able to verify that it was our network bottleneck that was
the problem.

Sorry -- not a great day.  Not the way to start off a new semester.

Judy
http://revined.blogspot.com