How to create a combobox button by a script?

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 04:34:56 EST 2009

Good morning, Reinhold,

I'm on holiday so I'm sitting here playing games with Runtime Revolution:

1. When you do:

   set the menuMode of btn "X" to "combobox"

   and look at the btn "X" properties palette you will see that it is not
   really a COMBO BOX - it is listed as a PUSH BUTTON !!!

   that is probably the reason it does not have menuLines.

2. Got it (by looking in the excellent help documentation for
   Metacard:

     http://www.hot.com.my/metacard/

   download 'stacks.tgz', decompress, change the suffix of mchelp.mc
   to .rev)

You have to set the STYLE of the button as well as the MENUMODE:

on mouseUp
  create btn "X"
  set the style of btn "X" to "menu"
  set the menuMode of btn "X" to "combobox"
  set the menuLines of btn "X" to 5
  put "Hello" into line 1 of btn "X"
  put "Reinhold" into line 2 of btn "X"
end mouseUp

This is inadequately documented in the Runtime Revolution system.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.