message path clarification please

Thierry th.douez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 07:03:22 EST 2009

Thanks Sarah, but...

>> button B1
>> group G1
>> button B2 inside G1
>> group G2 with backgroundbehavior set
>>
>> the buttons: on mouseup Hello end mouseup
>>
>> put the handler on Hello ...  in the group G2.
>>
>> the group G2 never catch the message of button B2 ( inside G1 ) ?????
>>
>> Is this a normal behavior of the message path ?
>
> The 2 groups are at the same level of the message hierarchy, so a
> message will never flow from one group to another, unless one is
> inside the other. In you example, the message passes as follows
>
> Stack
> Card
>    |--------------|---------------|
>   B1          G1           G2
>                  B2
>
> So clicking B2 sends the message to B2, G1, card, stack - but not to
> B1 or to G2.

a click on B1, Hello handler  in G2  get fired !

I understand it should work that way:
    ( from page 110, fig 50 on Rev User's guide )

Stack

Background ( G2 )

Card

controls.... ( B1, G1/B2, ... )

So, my question is more about the BackgroundBehavior.
In the Inspector for a group, setting the backgroundBehavior
you have also a little texte ( ... put after card in message path )

Still perplexe why it doesn't work ?

In fact, I found a work-around, and use frontscript instead, but I'm
finishing
a generic model for a tool and I need to clarify this behavior....

Regards,
Thierry