Extracting Resources from MacOS X Resource Files

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Thu Jan 22 14:16:06 EST 2009

Have you opened (control-click) the package and looked through all the
files/folders inside? .rsrc is a special os type that's actually a
folder.
-- An example is the .rtfd 'file' that is created by saving an RTF
document with graphics in TextEdit.   In that case, it was really just
a folder with a .png and a .rtf file inside. This is what Apple came
up with when they had to move their 'Resource Fork' metaphor to a
different file system.
I quite like the OSX packaging system of today (making a Rev
standalone inside a package with splash - I have it all, a stand alone
for the client but an easily modified system with all the source code
and tools), but in the pre-rev Hypercard world, resource forks were a
godsend. That's where the XCMDS, sounds, pictures, code, fonts,
everything except data was stored, which of course was in the DATA
fork. I used many, many, TEXT resources like we use custom properties
in Rev today. You could even put executable Hypertalk into these
resources. This was a system thing; and other apps could get access to
the same resources.
This is not the same now in Rev as pictures and sounds are stored in a
proprietary format, I'm sure to preserve cross-platform compatibility.
Say, nobody's written a 'Resource Mover' for Rev yet.....
maybe I will.
sqb
2009/1/22 Dave <dave at looktowindward.com>

> On 22 Jan 2009, at 16:18, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> Dave wrote:
>>
>>> I just want to be able to access this rsrc file to get an icns file, then access the icns file to get the rendered version of the Icon at a given resolution.
>>
>> If it is just a one-time thing to extract particular icons, you could save a lot of time by just using Graphic Converter. It will extract all the icons for you and save them to disk.
>
> GC will open .icns files, but not MacOS X .rsrc files, so I'd still need a way to get the .icns resources into separate files.
>
> But , no, unfortunately I want to be able to obtain the rendered icon from a .icns file and this file is stored on a removable volume. When the volume is mounted, I want to be able to grab the icon from the file on the volume.
>
> Is there really no way to access MacOS X .rsrc (theme) files under RunRev or a way get an Icon and a rendered image?
>
> All the Best
> Dave

Stephen Barncard