externals

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 04:56:44 EST 2009

Randall,

What you are asking for is:
a) not available right now
b) requires low-level operating system triggers
c) has interesting prospects for good use
d) but can also lead to abusive software

The fact that not all operating systems readily expose
this information, means a developer has to somehow
supply and support a mechanism for each target
platform.

Couple that with the fact that your favorite OS may
not even send out triggers immediately but rely on a
polling mechanism, and the water gets even murkier. A
number of things you are asking would have to hook
into the file system code itself (HFS, NTFS, FAT-32,
ZFS,...).

Low-level operating system triggers are particularly
hard to create and difficult to maintain, and getting
it to work correctly and consistently accross multiple
platforms and versions of each platform, is a serious
challenge.

Now suppose we live in a world where there are such
triggers and we can capture them as events in our
Revolution apps, this would of course be an incredibly
empowering experience for developers who can't stomach
C and would much prefer the ease and speed of
development of Revolution.

But if any malignant developer could just tap into
those same triggers, they could write software that
tracks your every move and reports back to a remote
server in about 5 lines of Revolution script.

Kurt's response boiled down to: With great power comes
great responsibility.

As for having any suggestions? How about these:
- learn C and even some x86 assembler
- learn more about file systems
- learn more about operating systems
- research how to tap into the I/O parts of the kernel
OR
- try to find and hire someone with the above skills
to implement this for you
- have your checkbook ready and figure in a hefty
maintenance cost of the code when planning the project

I'm afraid there's no such thing as a free lunch,
especially not for what you seek.

Jan Schenkel
--
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>