Using rev with -ui flag

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue Jan 13 13:32:06 EST 2009

I'mn trying to get to grips with an app that's going to have to run on a
headless Linux box.  I have a number of questions - answers to any or all
would be gratefully received, as would any other relevant observations or
suggestions.

* Is the -ui flag documented anywhere?  I can only find references from users
on various forums and lists - nothing from RR

* Evidently the -ui flag implies don't start the GUI; does it have other
implications?

* Is there a way for a stack to tell that it's in "-ui" mode?  The flag
doesn't appear in the $0, $1 etc globals

My app already has an "unattended" mode in which it is invoked from the
command with some additional parameters, and then (although still normally
displaying the UI) it goes through a sequence automatically, and then
automatically quits.  I expect it also to write some note to stderr.
Launching this with the -ui option it is totally silent, and it does not
appear to do anything, nor does it quit.  I've made a minimal stack that just
writes some notes to the console and then quits - that works as expected in
the -ui mode.  I'm guess that this means that my real app is doing something
during startup which is illegal in -ui mode; therefore it throws an error and
never gets to write anything to console or to quit.

* Are there known gotchas, things that you mustn't do in -ui mode?

Many thanks in advance,

Ben