Using SHELL to get a list of processes

Hugh Senior h at FlexibleLearning.com
Thu Feb 5 14:12:38 EST 2009

Duh!

I just found TASKLIST which works... get shell("TASKLIST").

And the processID returns the id of the app.

So I think I have got the necessary bits to check for multiple instances
now.

Apologies for bandwidth. Maybe this will help someone searching the archives
in the future.

/H

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugh Senior [mailto:h at FlexibleLearning.com]
Sent: 05 February 2009 18:56
To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
Subject: Using SHELL to get a list of processes

Goal:
Using shell()to determine if my Rev app is among the line of all running
processes. If so, then user has started a second instance and I want to
quit.

Task 1: Get a list of all running processes and IDs.
Task 2: Get the process name and ID of my Rev app.

With me so far? Okay...

I should be able to get a list of all running process using "ps -e"
(according to http://www.ss64.com/bash/ps.html).

So I try this in the message box, hoping to see some sort of a list:

answer shell("ps -e")

What I get instead is 'ps is not recognised as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file.'

Same result using shell("top") and shell("list-processes").

So what stupidity am I doing, please (apart from naively expecting the
syntax to work)? And how do I get the process name & ID of the app?

/H