Launch another app from my standalone

Adrian Williams adrian at clubtype.co.uk
Fri Aug 28 11:39:32 EDT 2009

Chris,

Think I have it now. "it" may not the best best name to use but it
works on OSX at least.
Will it also work on Windows?

Speaking for myself (an old newbie) who doesn't use Rev often, the
docs are not complete enough.
One forgets the simplest of tasks because they are not used constantly
or often enough.
Niggles with the docs will always happen I guess, but in principle,it
seems they don't cater for both newbies and pros.
Unless one knows that the default folder must be set, the doc example
about "launch" is little help,
including the fact that "SimpleText" should be "SimpleText.app"?

Extract from docs Examples and Parameters follows...
Example(s):
	launch "SimpleText"
	launch "/Documents/Projects/test.txt" with myApp
	launch it with (field "Application")

Parameters:
"... The applicationPath is the location and name of the application
to start up.
If no path is specified, the launch command assumes that the
application is in the defaultFolder."

Deceptively simple once one realises the defaultFolder must first be
set.
So the tiniest of "contextual" examples would illustrate both "launch"
and "defaultFolder".
Its worth a thousand words!

  set the defaultFolder to it
  launch "TextEdit.app"
  launch it

For pros and experienced users my comments are probably unfounded -
"spend more time getting to know transcript!"
But isn't ease of use the very thing that tempts non programmers to
use Rev?
Apologies if this offends anyone and many thanks for the great
feedback; the best thing about Rev apart from the software itself.

Thanks,
Adrian