Using zip to package a folder with subfolders

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 15:47:56 EDT 2009

Additional info regarding ZIP and FOLDERS

I use  " TAR " because it allows files of the same name that reside in
different folders in the tree.
For web designers, this is valuable since linked support files are
critical and most are named the same and replicated within and across
web sites.

Examples are "style.css"   "javascriptLib.js"  "fileWriter.inc"
"login.js"   "jquery.scrollTo.js"

This script creates one archive of many folders and files that may
have the same name.
------------------------
on zCompressRoot
--(Mac path version)
   set the defaultfolder to "/Users/myaccount/path/to/folderParent/"
--this tells Rev the path and the shell command will use the same

   put "_PagesForWebSite" into folderToCompress
   put "WebPagesArch" into nameForZipArchive  --the base string to
always use

   put (the seconds & nameForZipArchive") into zipNameToCreate  --the
stamped name
-- prefixing the seconds makes repeated zip's unique file names

   put ("tar -c -z -f "& zipNameToCreate &".tar.gz " &
folderToCompress & "") into cmd
   put shell(cmd) into status  --make it drill down,
   put status into msg  -- this will list the errors, otherwise
success = empty

   if status is not empty then
      answer "There was a problem creating the archive.  If at first
you don't succeed, tar tar again."
   end if
end zCompressRoot

Example:

tar: _PagesForWebSite: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas