[OT] Shockwave on Linux

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 16:17:41 EDT 2009

So, searched all over the internet for a shockwave player for Linux, and
in the words of
Wikipedia:
                 "Unlike Flash, the Shockwave browser plugin is not
available for Linux or Solaris
                   despite vocal lobbying efforts. However, the
Shockwave Player can be installed
                   on Linux with CrossOver or by running a Windows
version of a supported browser
                  in Wine (with varying degrees of success)."

Which sounded really heavy and not at all suitable for my Pentium IIIs.
As well as involving too
much hard work on my part :)

The Ubuntu Community documentation was similarly negative.

Updated my apt-get cache on my Pentium 4 and typed 'sudo apt-cache
search swf' and,
rather surprisingly got:

      swfdec-gnome - Tools to play SWF files (Macromedia Flash) on GNOME
      swfdec-mozilla - Mozilla plugin for SWF files (Macromedia Flash)

installed the first (as am only interested in playing a few EFL content
shockwave files on
the Disk-drives of my PCs) and it worked PERFECTLY.

And the lesson is . . . keep digging :)

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.