lesson to learn CGIs

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 24 11:04:44 EDT 2009

-= JB =- wrote:
> For some reason I thought the executable was supposed to be in the
> library folder
> on my hard drive.  Also you are right it was not properly renamed to
> revolution.  It
> seems I forgot that part after I had trouble finding it.
>
> As for uploading the engine file which I assume is the executable
> renamed to revolution
> I was simply transferring it using the webdisk like I would move
> files on my hard drive.
>
> What is the proper way to install it?

Is this on your On-Rev account?

If so, I don't believe you need to install the Rev CGI at all; it should
be pre-installed, so all you'd need is the path to the engine, which
should be described in your signup docs or online help for On-Rev.

If not, what is webdisk?  If it's an FTP client, does it offer a choice
between text and binary transfer modes?

I've seen some FTP clients read the first few bits of the Rev engine,
see that it's ASCII, and try to use text mode, which will convert line
endings which may be fine for text files but will break the engine,
since of course the engine's object code is binary.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World