On-Rev founders - some speed data?

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 06:59:10 EDT 2009

2009/4/24 Ben Rubinstein <benr_mc at cogapp.com>

> Of course there are also odd things that are very slow
> (you can crop an image faster in Transcript than using the built-in
> command,
> whch could perhaps be taken as a tribute to the speed of all the commands
> other than 'crop')

:) Do you use lines and items, or construct arrays from the imagedata?

> Has any one done anything like this?  Ideally, someone might have taken an
> existing facility in PHP or Python or Perl or Ruby (is Ruby installed on
> On-Rev?) and recoded it in Rev.  Otherewise googling eg "benchmark php
> python"
> produces a lot of less-than-real-world tests that have been translated into
> various languages for comparison.  I'd be very interested to know how
> on-rev
> matches up.

Great idea. Not sure what a real world test would be - but how about basing
it on Andre's Blog. There will be blogs in every language, and we could do a
basic speed test and also show how easy it is to code? NB - AFAIK there is
no mention of python on On-Rev - but I've not tested to see if it is
installed - can;t imagine it won't be.