[OT] Tatty, old computers.

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Tue Apr 21 15:08:38 EDT 2009

Le 21 avr. 09 à 18:32, Richmond Mathewson a écrit :

> <

> I am bemused by all the commercial hype to endlessly upgrade; most
> PCs currently on the market
> can do a lot more than the average consumer will ever require.
>
> I run a G4 Mac (Mirror Door 2003, Dual Proc.), a PPC Mac Mini, a G3
> iMac, and a "Bits-and-Bobs-flung-together-from-
> the-discard-pile" Pentium 4: between them they satisfy all my
> computing needs.
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> My ability to get old computers working is strictly restricted to
> bunging an install disk into the CD drive!
>
> If the computing world would sit back and think a bit, instead of
> continually spending money on ever more
> spiffy computers, and filling up landfills like nobody's business;
> they might see the virtues of hanging on to
> older hardware and "milking it" as long as possible: this is,
> ultimately far more 'green' than buying
> Steve Jobs' "latest thang", which, supposedly, is so 'eco' that it
> gives free massages to members of greenpeace :)

A few years ago I went to my favorite Apple reseller to repair my
wife's iBook. The technician told me it was not possible anymore; more
precisely, the older French law forced manufacturers to supply spare
parts for ten years, whereas, in a later application of a E.U.
"regulation", only five years of spare parts supply were required now;
which means that, you actually cannot spare parts after five years.
Which also means that, if a company does not have a brand policy,
everything will be designed to break apart after 5 years.
Recently tested with a washing machine.

Best regards,
	François