on-rev example: 'globals.cgi' conversion

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 18 15:24:16 EDT 2009

Phil Davis wrote:

> I just set up a CGI in my on-rev account that is 'mostly' equivalent to
> the .irev web page ("on-rev") approach, and tried it out. I was a little
> surprised that the CGI execution speed is almost the same as with on-rev:
>
> revCGI = This page of code executed in 0.000242 secs.
> on-rev = This page of code executed in 0.000206 secs.
>
> FWIW, my CGI is here:
> http://phildavis.on-rev.com/cgi-bin/globals.cgi

The CGI is indeed fast, but if the timing is being measured inside the
script it's not accounting for the biggest difference between the CGI
and on-Rev:  on-Rev has no load time to bring the engine into memory and
initialize it since it's already loaded and running, while the CGI
engine has to be loaded fresh each time it's called.

Even with that extra overhead the Rev CGI measures well against
equivalent CGIs, but I'd be surprised if it could beat on-Rev.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World