I'm having behavior problems :)

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 06:24:53 EDT 2009

Hi Mark,

I confess to not having actively used the new behaviors at all (well,
only indirectly in looking at the DataGrid).   From reading the
summaries about behaviors I took the "resolutionError" to be the
Revolution equivalent of SmallTalk's "message not understood" (which
is how an object responds if the message sent to it is not handled
anywhere in its hierarchy).

This line from the ParentScriptsNotes.txt suggests that it shouldn't
be sent repeatedly: "Once resolution has failed for a parentScript
reference, no attempt will be made to resolve it again *unless* the
parentScript of an object is set to the same reference."

One assumes that the resolutionError would contain information
concerning what message failed to be resolved and what object was
supposed to contain the referenced script.  Under these conditions the
resolutionError would allow one to take remedial action to resolve the
reference.

Maybe I've completely misunderstood things.

BTW, for me it seems that choosing a field would have been a better
control to contain the script.  It would mean that the field's
contents could be used for various related information (such as
documentation).  Again, maybe there's something that makes buttons
more useful than fields that I am missing.

Bernard