data grid code

mfstuart mfstuart at cox.net
Tue Apr 7 16:18:21 EDT 2009

Hi Sadhu,

I've modified your mouseUp script a little to not only save you some typing,
but also to show another way to put a text file directly into a memory
variable: gTheData. Also, the script checks if the user actually selected a
file. The result of selecting a file returns the file path and name into
"it". If the Cancel button was clicked on the File dialog, then empty is in
the variable "it".
Here it is:

on mouseUp
   --Retrieve the Excel CSV (quote and comma delimited) file
   answer file "The spread sheet file name?"
   if it is not empty then --if file selected
      put it into theExcelFile
      put URL ("file:" & theExcelFile) into gTheData  --this loads the file
directly into gTheData
      --   Convert the CSV data to tab delimited
      put quote & comma & quote into csvPattern
      replace csvPattern with tab in gTheData
      replace quote with empty in gTheData

      --   Leave out the column headers since they are part of the data grid
      delete line 1 of gTheData
      set the dgText of group "Data Grid 1" to gTheData
   end if
end mouseUp

HTH U,
Mark Stuart