the visible of a stack

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 24 16:54:17 EDT 2008

Richmond Mathewson wrote:
 > 4. put the vis of stack "POO"
 >
 >     which yielded 'true' [obviously]
 >
 > although I could not see the stack.
 >
 > So I concluded, with my philosophical hat jammed well down over
 > my eyes, that VIS has nothing to do with whether I can see the
 > stack or not, but has something to do with one of the properties
 > of an object.

While that hypothesis may be true, your testing may have been a bit lax.
You performed the outside-the-monitor test well enough, but with my
penchant for testing I also performed the following tests:

- Placed another window on top of the one in question

- Turned off the monitor

- Closed my eyes

- Stepped out of the room

In all cases the stack's visible property was unchanged, even when I
could not see it.

Curious...

But seriously, Mikey, if you're still reading this silly post here's the
skinny:

the visible property governs whether a stack will be seen when it's
open, not whether it's open at the moment.  To see if a stack is open
check the windows:

   if "MyStack" is among the lines of windows() then

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal