[OT] Free Images for your GUI

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 14:45:50 EDT 2008

"[I see MESSAGES about images.

I see no actual images or links to download."

Take a while to look at the layout of Yahoo Groups; look at the menu-links on the left; don't jump all over the place posting "can't" messages before you have done that.

My FREE Images are readily downloadable from the group:

if you just make a bit of an effort to find your way around.

I teach Bulgarian children EFL (English as a Foreign Language), and the first thing I have to do is wean them off the "Hard Times"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Times

school of education: stuffing with facts

and getting them to think laterally, so they have a chance of actually being able to speak the language rather than do pale imitations of my auntie's parrot. Naturally enough, for the first few weeks these kids sit
there being totally passive, rather like damp face-cloths. However, sooner or later, they sit up and start finding out things for themselves; especially when the penny finally drops that they have to do a bit of deductive and inductive reasoning to pass the odd test I throw at them rather than simply regurgitate pre-packaged English phrases.

What the kids I teach eventually learn, which to my mind is ultimately more valuable than anything else, is that good education is not a free lunch, it involves their hard-work as well as that of the teacher.

This is why kids come running to my little school to show me bits of stuff they have found in English-language publications and so on; off their own bat. Why they struggle, with their insufficient English, to tell me all the wonderful things about their grandparents, their friends, their dogs, cats, rabbits and so on. I very rarely ask for anything from those kids because I don't have to (after the initial tough, uphill, "shock and awe" phase); they give me so much.

Why am I telling all you happy Runtime Revolution programmers this at the end of a message about how to download files from my Yahoo Groups?

Well, for starters, I'm in love with my work,

and,

because the quote at the top of this message really threw me off balance.

I wonder why?

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.