Making "Real Stack" invisible

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Mon Sep 22 08:43:52 EDT 2008

On 22/09/08 at 01:24 -0700 Joe Lewis Wilkins apparently wrote:
>Thanks for your suggestions, Terry,
>
>I still haven't wrestled with the concept of "custom property" yet.
>It seems to be very useful, but I've yet to spend enough time with
>it to understand what it really is. Something like a pointer in
>other languages, perhaps? I just find the name unsettlingly
>non-descriptive of what it is and does. I'm sure there are some
>excellent descriptions somewhere in the RunRev world, but I've yet
>to go looking for one.
>
>Joe Wilkins

I would second the suggestion to store the initial user stack as a
custom property and install it in a location appropriate for
application support files on any given platform. It is a better
solution than making that file initially invisible, less prone to
user-level problems.

Custom properties are nothing more than storage spots within your
stack. Nothing really scary there. They are sort of like variables
which are permanently attached to some object within stack (or the
stack itself) and thus saved with the stack. The name is not the most
fortunate but it reflects the fact that the usage syntax is parallel
to "normal" properties of objects and they are often used to store
additional, yeah, custom, properties needed by a given program.

Robert