RESTRAINING THE PENCIL IN REV

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Sep 21 17:59:40 EDT 2008

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
> Good to know, Ken. this time I think I'll go with the Splash screen once
> I figure out exactly how to tie it to my original stack; I assume it has
> to do with making my stack a substack of a new mainstack (the Splash
> screen stack); not quite as easily done as I thought, but...!

You're trying to make it too hard. Just leave your stack as-is, don't
use it to build an app.

Make a new stack, size it smallish like a splash screen, put any images
on it you want people to see when it starts up, and put (at least) one
line of script in an opencard handler on the first card:

on opencard
  wait 3 seconds -- or whatever
  close this stack
  go stack "myRealStack"
end opencard

Build this "stub" stack into a standalone. Put your real stack in the
same folder with the standalone. Double-click the standalone to launch it.

It will open, wait a few seconds, open your working stack and close
itself. That's all a "splash" stack does. You can add other things to
the splash stack if you want to make it fancier or perform other actions
before your real one opens, but basically it's just a player. It's also
a good place to store common handlers if you want, because all open
stacks will have access to its stack scripts, but you don't have to do that.

Jacque
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com