Anyone know how to read Palm pdb dbs?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Sep 16 06:31:50 EDT 2008

Chipp Walters wrote:
> My Dad's Treo died and there's no way to get sync it with his computer. I
> was able to get his contacts off of it onto a SD card, but I don't have
> anyway of moving it out of the native pdb format spec. Turns out there's
> binary data mixed in with the rest (pictures for contacts)-- which I don't
> really need/want. But, I would like to be able to get the rest of the
> contact info.
> I seem to remember a pdb reader lib running around awhile back, but my Gmane
> searches don't show any links.

I have no idea whether the pdb file on the handheld is in the same
format as the pdb file on a computer, but if it is then you might be
able to use the Palm desktop software to read it by simply transferring
the file onto a suitable .

If not, then there are a few (449) projects on SourceForge relating to
"palm treo pdb"; I had a quick look and it seems a few might make it
easy to extract the data using PHP or Python, or maybe even get a tool
to do it for you (palm2ics looks hopefuil).

-- Alex.