Arrays: new and old keys, i

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Sep 11 14:32:39 EDT 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Andrew Meit wrote:

> Me too! I am frustrated that once again Rev ships new features
> without full docs or full examples.
> Please anyone who deeply understands the new arrays teach all,
> thanks. :-)
> Better yet a small library of wrappers that finish them off.
> Just for the record, I did bug report the missing doc while testing.

If you haven't read the newsletter article I wrote or taken a look at
the included stack you could start there:

<http://runrev.com/newsletter/july/issue53/newsletter1.php>

Then come back and ask any additional questions you have.

As for writing a wrapper, what sorts of routines are you looking for?
There are three features I would really like to see but none of these
can really be handled by a library. They need to be added to the
engine. They are:

1) Ability to reference an multi-dimensional keys dynamically. Right
now we have to build the array key reference and then use 'do'.

2) Ability to pass a key of an array by reference. Currently you can't
do this:

on mouseUp
     put "Hi There" into theArray[1]["name"]
     DoSomething theArray[1]
end mouseUp

command DoSomething @pArrayA
end DoSomething

3) Ability to reference elements of an array in the order they were
added to the array:

put element 5 of theArrayA

Regards,

--