Charset problems passing foreign chars to PHP/MySQL from Mac

rgould8 at aol.com rgould8 at aol.com
Sat Sep 6 09:36:05 EDT 2008

I'm having trouble saving words with special characters into MySQL from Revolution, and I'm sure I'm just missing something simple:

(I hope these special characters come through in this email)

Basically I need to pass this word from Revolution (running on my Mac), into a mySQL database:

Rhône

If I want to create an URL that I can use to pass Rhône to mySQL and have it save properly, I use an URL like:

put URL "http://www.myisp.com/updatadata.php?valuetopass=Rh%C3%B4ne" into databack

If I can get Rhône to convert to Rh%C3%B4ne I'm in business, however, I've tried MactoISO, ISOtoMac, urlencode - - - everything I can think of, but I can't seem to get the right conversion:

put MactoISO("Rhône") returns "RhÙne"

put urlencode("Rhône") returns "Rh%99ne"

What is the secret formula to get to "Rhône" to convert to "Rh%C3%B4ne"?

What's REALLY annoying is that if I run my Rev app on a Windows box, everything saves perfectly.  It's just something to do with being on the Mac platform.  Not sure why.