Conflict between the Rev 'backdrop' and OSX 'Spaces'?

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 19:20:58 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Graham Samuel <livfoss at mac.com> wrote:
> On OSX Leopard there is a feature called 'spaces' which allows one to divide
> applications into sets, and then switch between the sets (spaces) so that
> only the windows of the current set are shown. This can be useful, and I'm
> employing it while doing Rev development. However I've come across a snag
> and I want to know whether others consider this a bug in Rev or not.
>
> The app I'm developing in Rev sets a backdrop, and I'm currently testing the
> startup routines of the app so that the command to do this is invoked early
> on. This works fine, in that the backdrop appears behind all the relevant
> Rev windows (both the ones I've created and the ones coming from the IDE and
> from GLX2). However if I switch to another 'space' in OSX, perhaps to look
> at my email or whatever, when I switch back, the backdrop covers all my Rev
> windows. The rev menu bar is still showing, but if I choose one of my stacks
> from the 'Window' menu, it doesn't appear. Fortunately I can use the menu
> bar to call up the message box, which does appear, and I can manually set
> the backdrop to 'none', so that all my windows reappear. I can then use the
> message box to set the backdrop back to black and it reappears in its
> rightful place behind all my windows.
>
>  I have seen other anomalies with Spaces, such as an application menu
> appearing while the document which it has opened remains invisible, so one
> might see this as a problem with the Mac and not with Rev.
>
> I will carry out more tests, but meanwhile, has anyone else seen this - and
> does anyone think that it will affect my eventual standalone on OSX?
> Obviously this isn't something I want my users to experience.

I don't usually use the backdrop but I use Spaces all the time and I
can confirm what you are seeing with OS X 10.5.5 and Rev 3.0.0

It looks like a bug too me so I reckon you should file a report. I
thought a possible workaround might be to hide the backdrop when the
app was suspended and set it again on resume, but in my tests, the
suspend and resume messages are not being sent.
This would appear to be another bug which I will check out now and
report if it has not already been reported.

Cheers,
Sarah