openSockets strangeness

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sun Oct 12 18:16:41 EDT 2008

I can't really help on the first of your questions, but maybe it is
this: The open socket message will do what you want, namely open a
socket. The computer on the other end (or your own when you use
localhost as in your examples), will then either:
1. reject it (at which point you'll get a notice)
2. just silently do nothing about it, which is far more often (prolly
so to not give away too much info)
3. accept it

  So often you'll only get a socket error when you actually try to do
something, and then the client (your stack) realises that it can't
send anything trough. At least that's my experience with chatrev.

For the second question about all the open sockets:

> 10261

This is the server, that you have started with the "accept connections
on port 10261" line in your script. If you want to stop accepting
sockets altogether, you'll need to "close socket 10261".

> 127.0.0.1:10261

this is your client's socket, to communicate trough it with the
server, you'll send messages to that one. You can also close it to end
communication.

>  127.0.0.1:57219

This is most likely the connectionfrom your server to your client. I
say "most likely", because it should have a pipe ("|") and a
connection id after that, as per the documentation of the "accept"
command. If you want to send stuff to your client from your server,
then this is the socket you'll want. the server can close this, to
stop communication with that particular client (of course the client
can simply reconnect).

Note that, if you'd only have a client running in the same
application, it would be what you asked for, only the
"127.0.0.1:10261" one. Developing the server and the client in the
same ide has advantages, but this is certainly confusing at first
(resetAll is your friend when strange sockets hang around).

--

official ChatRev page:
http://bjoernke.com/runrev/chatrev.php

Chat with other RunRev developers: